• Smith Knifeworks
    It's funny that this came up in the most recent podcast. I sat down with a friend last week and rough designed a CAD file for a water cooled radius platen. The one we mocked up was a 36" radius to replicate a 6ft wheel and will end up fitting my Wilmont. I intend to make one for myself out of heat treated steel. Does anyone else have any interest in this? They won't likely be cheap ( it's a really nice design. 2 pc milling operation that will need to be tig welded with water channels milled to slow water flow through the platen to ensure adequate cooling. machined bosses for threading the platen from the rear instead of the front side. This eliminates the belt running over an uneven surface) as they are a little complicated, and milling out of steel takes considerably more time than aluminum.

What do you guys think? any interest?
  • Youngknives
    Just seen that bill benke has just done one on his Instagram page and I'm sure he's being inundated with request, so yeah I think it's something the guys all want
  • Smith Knifeworks
    I revisited this slightly. It seems to make more sense to go the route of an aluminum heat sink on the back instead of being water cooled. that way you could interchange different radius faces and keep the same cooling portion for the rear. It may get shelved, as it's a bit of a design project. I saw Bill's recently in photos. It looks nice, as all of his work is top notch.
  • Matthew Lee
    Definitely thinking about getting one at some point, getting a 2x72” soon hopefully. Probably should practice flat grinding chef knives first though lol. That composite design sounds similar to something I thought up before for my 1x30 except I had envisioned a steel face with a hollowed out, water cooled aluminum heat sink with fins inside (attached to the platen side) the hollow to accelerate heat exchange. As for how the water should flow to prevent uneven cooling (if that would be a problem) I do not know. All theory at this point and r&d time around here is lacking lol
  • Smith Knifeworks
    That's similar to what I was designing with a friend. We used the idea of a dual pass car radiator and designed fins inside to control water flow rate and speed. It's slick, but I don't think it's practical. It would end up being many hundreds of dollars to produce and sell them. I'm gonna eventually prototype one and try it with/without a heat sink to see if there is an appreciable difference.
  • Matthew Lee
    Nice! So I actually was just thinking of using the fins (immobile fins that is) to increase heat exchange and direct flow instead of adjusting flow volume with them and using a gravity fed system with a valve to adjust flow volume. Same effect could could be accomplished by drilling the channels in the aluminum. Was thinking a dual feed single exit in the center would be close to the best heat elimination distribution if I make one or draw it up I can show you lol. In all likelihood just adding a thermal resevoir would probably be sufficient tho. Another option is that if the plate was removable you could always cool the plate in a bucket seperately when the platen assembly heats up. That is if it heats up enough to make a difference in the first place
  • David Singer
    I could be interested. What kind of money are you talking about?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.