• HallBlades
    I live in Minnesota and our winters get COLD. I’m just starting out so my shop is in my uninsulated garage.

I already store my glues and such indoors but should I be storing my handle material indoors as well?? I’m worried about the thermal expansion going from a sub-zero shop to a customers kitchen... also should I be doing my glue-up where it is warmer?

I primarily use stabilized wood held in place with g-flex epoxy and pins.

• BBMFBAccepted Answer
    I would glue up in the house. The west systems epoxy I use when I do cord wrap handles is very detailed on set times at certain temps. I have to think all epoxies will work in a similar manner, since its a chemical reaction and almost all reactions go off quicker and more thoroughly the higher the temp is.
  • Scott
    I keep all my natural material ( unstabalized wood) and stabilized woods. As well as all other synthetic material in my outdoor garage that is not heated or insulated. I have had no problems that your are asking about. I do ask customer whete they live to inderstand the climit they live in. That can play a huge factor in the handle material. Stabalized woods are just fine and sealed and treated woods that are not stabilized will be ok. Now if your working with thinks like ivory, mammoth, oosik, and stuff like that. Humidity and temp will play a huge factor in your shop when setting up handles. Just my experiance and what not.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.