• ashwinearl
    Hi all,

In October, I started taking pictures of a build from the very beginning along with color commentary on my instagram. It morphed in a complete end-to-end build (>130 pictures). I hope this can be a of use to others. In hindsight, I'd like to redo the build along in forum format to put it all in one place and make it easier to follow.

I'd call myself an advanced beginner with a 2x72, bandsaw, and small kiln. There is no reason file, sandpaper, hacksaw, and out-sourced heat treat could not be used if you are new. This is just one way to make one. I tried to be clear where I was unsure of methods, made assumptions, or was just plain doing something wrong.

If anyone can figure out how to search on multiple hashtags and get the results to show up in chronologic order, let me know.

The start date was Oct 16, 2018. Here is my instagram . Hashtags are #buildalong #ashwinearl

The design was a basic drop point in 8670 carbon steel. There was no particular reason for this steel other than I was trying out several different simple steels that I could heat treat at home. The knife design was bigger than I typically make and the steel thicker than what I'd used in the past.

The final knife ended up with a textured napped look on the handle, as this micarta just felt slippery.

QT7EGe3.jpg
    NEORlwE.jpg
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.