Instagram buid along fixed blade stock removal + leather sheath
In October, I started taking pictures of a build from the very beginning along with color commentary on my instagram. It morphed in a complete end-to-end build (>130 pictures). I hope this can be a of use to others. In hindsight, I'd like to redo the build along in forum format to put it all in one place and make it easier to follow.
I'd call myself an advanced beginner with a 2x72, bandsaw, and small kiln. There is no reason file, sandpaper, hacksaw, and out-sourced heat treat could not be used if you are new. This is just one way to make one. I tried to be clear where I was unsure of methods, made assumptions, or was just plain doing something wrong.
If anyone can figure out how to search on multiple hashtags and get the results to show up in chronologic order, let me know.
The start date was
Oct 16, 2018
. Here is my
. Hashtags are
The design was a basic drop point in 8670 carbon steel. There was no particular reason for this steel other than I was trying out several different simple steels that I could heat treat at home. The knife design was bigger than I typically make and the steel thicker than what I'd used in the past.
The final knife ended up with a textured napped look on the handle, as this micarta just felt slippery.
Sign in or register to add a comment.
Add a Comment
Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!
Buy & Sell
Show & tell
Tools & equipment
Stock removal folks- canister damascus
Forging Vs. Stock Removal
Forging Vs Stock Removal
First stock removal chefs knife
Terms of Service
Useful Hints and Tips
Created with PlushForums
© 2020 KNIFE TALK