• Zach Byrne
    I got a dewalt portable bandaw for Christmas and it worked great on some 1/16 in steel. However, I tried it on some 3/16 steel today and it completely duled the blade. The steel came annealed from the supplier and I had worked with some of it before using the bandsaw on it and it cut well with hand tools so I don’t think it needs to be annealed. I think the blade it came with was a 14 tpi bimetal blade. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to cut this stuff, whether that be a different tpi blade or slower speed or what, I had it running pretty fast when trying to cut it. Steel is 1095 if that matters.
  • BBMFB
    I've had real good performance out of Milliuakie and Lenox 14 tpi blades, even better if I wax them. I don't think I'm running the saw at its fastest speed maybe high mid-range.

Maybe Dewalt puts a crappy starter blade on?
  • Zach Byrne
    that’s what I was thinking too about the out of the box blade. I ordered a couple of blades that are recommended for cutting steel and some people in the reviews said that they’d used it to make knives so hopefully they’ll work better
  • Wesley Wernimont
    I found the 14tpi blades to be a good one for cutting knife metal. I actually have a Milwaukee saw but I wouldn't see much difference between the two.
  • Zach Byrne
    Well I found the issue. The steel that I bought must've been plasma cut because the perimeter of the billet was super hard, but the inside drilled like it was butter. I ended up drilling super close to the edge and then cutting through with the band saw and after that it wasn't horrible.
  • Neil Yeager
    The Lenox BiMetal blades work well for me.
  • Jeff Kushen
    I second that.. they are the best ones I have found for the price. I did buy a "diamond crusted" blade for like $50 once, but I don't think it cut any better or lasted any longer than 2 Lenox blades. For the price, I'll buy the 3 pack of Lenox all day.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.