• Edgeinhand
    What does everyone use for air filtration and grinder dust collection? It's getting into the winter months here and I don't want to grind with my doors open the whole winter. I'd like to put together a grinder vacuum system but don't even know where to start. I'm thinking of a Wen ceiling air filter. I've got about 600 square feet of garage to manage dust and air conditions.
  • BBMFB
    Right now I'm using a 5 horse wet dry vac pulling through a dust deputy, mounted on a 10 gallon steal can that was made air tight, which pulls through another 10 gallon steal can with a couple inches of water in the bottom, then some aluminum flex duct with a a/c register mounted on the end and held near to the grinding surface.

It works pretty good, but I can see the advantages of having more horses.

I don't scrub the air in my shop, I just open it up on both ends and run a strong shop fan pulling or pushing depending on which way the wind is blowing. Skeet my knife babies all over the neighborhood. I live in the PNW, so it doesn't get all that cold. I wish someone would tell my feet.

I also sweep at the end of every work day. It's not necessary, but more of a diplomacy thing.
  • Edgeinhand
    “skeet my knife babies all over the neighborhood” is an early contender for comment of the year lol
  • Edgeinhand
    do you have any pictures of your collection set up?
  • Christopher Miller
    I use a Delta Oasis wall mount collector with a 20ft hose. All my machines have a coupler to fit the hose that I move from machine to machine (I do mainly wood working/ any metal work is done directly into a bucket of water). Not necessarily ideal, but it works ok. My shop is a tightly tarped corner of my basement. I have a hole cut into the tarp on either side of the shop with fans; one pulling in fresh, and one pushing out stale, both outfitted with basic 3m 16"×16" furnace filters. Kind of a ghetto rig, but you'd be surprised what those filters catch. At the end of every session, I blow all my equipment and tables down with a small air compressor. I come back an hour later and sweep.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.