• Smith Knifeworks
    Hey everyone. First of all, I'd like to say thanks for the podcast. As a longtime homecook, knife lover and recent beginner knife maker, the podcast is awesome. Specifically for someone like myself where hearing knife makers that are already established discuss their process/procedure/thought process is immensely enlightening. I have a couple long-winded ideas for topics. Perhaps my thoughts will be useful. Apologies in advance for the grammatical butchery.

-I realize this is a really broad-sweeping statement, but I think a great topic would be how physical attributes of a knife translate into performance and function. I believe Geoff mentioned, in the previous episode, that most people who use a kitchen knife all day don't have an understanding of how physical attributes of a blade influence performance and function; how to correctly sharpen and care for a knife based on what it is made of, how its ground, where the tip falls, and why on specific types of knives blah blah blah. Most people hop on youtube for information these days. Have you guys seen the youtube video of Gordon Ramsay showing " How to sharpen a knife?" It looks like he has a siezure with a soft stainless knife and a steel in his hand. Flailing, banging the edge against the steel etc. If this is what Joe or Jane so-and-so stumbles across on a google search, they're already at a disadvantage. Especially if their " holy grail" knife is some Shun or some other Japanese production knife. They're going to immediately chip the edge and ruin their knife in their eyes.

-Is knife making Art. That's short in type characters. Exceptionally long in discussion. Or it could be, anyway. I've had this discussion endlessly with artist friends. There probably isn't a general answer, but it makes for great exchange of thoughts.

-Why is "Reeling in The Years" the best rock song to ever be recorded, all things considered?

Thanks again guys for the work you put into this. Big fan
  • Chop Knives
    I think you will enjoy next weeks episode, we cover exactly this :wink:
  • Smith Knifeworks
    Awesome! Really looking forward to y'alls thoughts on the Steely Dan tune. Hah!
  • Chop Knives
    Oh - I have opinions on Steely Dan. Not necessarily good ones!
  • Satterfieldknives
    Here is a question for this episode;
    “What edge profile or components of a profile make a knife better for a chef”? I know there are many different knives so let’s narrow it down to a chefs knife.
  • NF Steel
    Hi guys,

Great podcast and thanks to you all individually, you have all inspired me/taught me in different ways.

My question is around knife pricing (cue rolled eyes!).

I’m finding this really tricky. As I’m learning I’m not looking to capitalise on my time particularly, but also don’t’ want to create the perception of bargain basement/poor quality – materials used are good, and time/attention to detail is considerable (within the limits of my skills).

Am I marketing a tool, am I marketing art? I’m confident in the product, but don’t want to take the P**s! I’m confused!

I’m probably making this harder than it needs to be, but really interested in your views.

Nick from NF Steel
  • FOrgeICanStrongIAm
    So a tually ive got a twofer question!

I realize this is knife talk not ax/hammer talk but my question is...do you punch the eye on your billet/stock first before forging/shaping or after? If i drift before forging out the rest of the piece i find the eye deforms and im constantly redrifting the eye throught the process and if i do aome shaping of the billet/stock first then it becomes increasingly harder to hot punch the eye. Whats your preference?

Secondly. Why is it so important to stabilize your handle material instead of just using a nice finishing and sealing oil on your wood handle/scales.
  • Rix Raven
    Hi guys. Cant believe I just found this! Love listening to it. Thanks for your efforts for enlightening us all :)
    So, my question is: How do you put on your primary bevel/ edge on your chef knives? And do you do it as last thing?
    Thanks again and looking forward to you all going on air again!

Cheers from denmark
  • Geoff Feder
    I like steely dan.
  • Chop Knives
    I like steel, Dan.
  • AJ Prime
    Love Steely Dan. I even dubbed my second hammer Steely Dan. Cheesey I know! There might be a level of regret now but I'll stick with it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.