• Chop Knives
    I’ve had this idea for a while.

Wouldn’t it be great to have a knife made by as many people as possible in the community which could then be auctioned off for charity.

After each ‘stage’ the maker would mail the knife off to the next maker for the next piece of work.

Stages would include:

- Making of Damascus billet
    - Surface grind & prep
    - shaping & drilling
    - heat treat
    - profile bevels
    - finishing (Blade)
    - handle fit up
    - sharpening
    - sheath making

I would then get everybody’s logo etched into that one blade ready for a charity auction.

What do people think? Maybe I have missed a stage? Maybe you would like to volounteer for a stage? What style of knife would be best?

What are your thoughts?
  • Bob Rankin
    I'm in. Let me know if you need a billet or heat treatment.
  • Josh Hiett
    That would be awesome! I assume you would be the ring leader with designs and everything else?
  • Chop Knives
    I’d facilitate, not sure about being a ring leader.

Looks like Bob has volounteered to make a billet.

I’ll happily grind the bevels.

Any other takers?

Also, what style/design do people think would be best?
  • Swift Knives UK
    I think if its for charity, a kitchen knife would have appeal to a larger audience and potentially raise more money. Love the idea !
  • Josh Hiett
    I agree definitely a culinary blade. I would offer my services to grind out a handle, but I’m not quite sure if I’d be the best choice out of all the better handle grinders out there!
  • Chop Knives
    Let’s go for a standard 8” chef knife then.

Go for the handle Josh, I’m sure it’ll be great.
  • Josh Hiett
    Okay I’m in. May I request that it be of hidden tang construction?
  • Matt Brookes
    wonderful idea! Would certainly be happy to help!
  • Matt Brookes
    @Chop Knives Any idea for the cause. I may have a suggestion.
  • Bob Rankin
    I'm in for the billet. I'm thinking 2" x 12". Let me know the layer count and where to ship it guys. Also I'm more than happy to do the HT also. Thanks guys
  • Chad Kimmell
    I can donate a set of scales for @Josh Hiett to do the handle work.
  • Chad Kimmell
    I could also give the Shaping a go.
  • JR Knifemaker
    This is a fantastic idea. I’m in and happy to take whichever stage.
    Is this going to be cross-continental? I know there’s a split US-UK here. We could even do a UK knife and a US knife!
    Craig what’s the charity of choice?
  • Josh Hiett
    I’m totally in love with the idea of a cross continent collaboration. Many makers from many places.
  • Chop Knives
    Ok, I think we have a rough consensus. Thanks for the comments & private messages.

So, we are going to go with an 8” full tang western style chef knife.

The brilliant @bobrankin is going to kick us off with a billet (dealers choice on pattern Bob. It’s up to you).

Chad Kimmell is doing the shaping.

I’ll do the bevel grinding.

Let me know what steps you would all like to cover.

- I’ve had a couple of recommendations for good causes so I’ll do a poll on which we should choose at a later date.
  • Josh Hiett
    I’m in for the handle making. Being full tang and Damascus though, the scales must be shaped first, then the blade etched and then everything glued and pinned on. I am totally set up for the etch unless someone else wants to etch and then pin on scales.
  • Chad Kimmell
    sounds like there will be a fair amount of logistics involved... once we have everyone signed up for a task we can run down a list of steps to make sure everyone knows who is receiving the knife next. I am SUPER excited about this guys!
  • Chop Knives
    I’ll put up an open google spreadsheet tomorrow and people can claim the missing steps
  • JR Knifemaker
    Great stuff. Great idea. And hopefully just the beginning of lots more collaborations between members.
  • Youngknives
    I'm down for some filework !!!
  • Bob Rankin
    Hopefully I will be able to get started on the billet next weekend. It will be a forged finished and annealed.
  • Tory Utt
    I would like to chip in if possible. I could make a Leather sheath or maybe with a wood scabbard. I am really open to contributeing to any part if the process. I am in continental US. Let me know.
  • Chad Kimmell
    Could we donate thie proceeds to Lee’s family?
  • Chop Knives
    perfect idea.

Been dragging my feet on this as I’m visiting family overseas but will get back on this mid-week
  • Chad Kimmell
    no worries. Just finished the Pod Cast and, well it’s just sad. I feel like we could/should do something. I can’t imagine my wife having to deal with that.
  • Bryn Davies
    Another idea you can shoot down if it's not feasible. How about for those of us not in a position to contribute to the collaboration piece, or unable to make a financial donation, instead donate a piece of work of our own to be auctioned/ raffled to raise some more money? I'd have no idea how to organise something like that, but I'd be happy to send a knife to whoever could for the cause.
  • Ross Vosloo
    instead donate a piece of work of our own to be auctioned/ raffled to raise some more money?Bryn Davies

this right here. would love to be a part of this but i think my being in Zimbabwe would make logistics a nightmare. i would however be super interested in suggestion
  • Edgeinhand
    I can sharpen. Love this idea
  • Josh Hiett
    Unfortunately I can no longer be a part of this. My shop/studio/chicken coop was recently robbed and I had to put the tools I had left into secure storage.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.