• Wesley Wernimont
    Possible Topic - handles in general. The different parts as well different types/shapes. Are some shapes better for particular types of knives. How do you guys shape your knives. Are some finishes better than others or does it depend on the knife use? Any tips or tricks on stabilizing wood for scales? When designing custom knives do you take in account the customer’s hand size or if they are right or left handed? What is the preferred method of fastening scales to a knife. Is there any hard absolute do not dos when designing a handle?
  • Zach Byrne
    I would definitely try and get a rough hand size for a custom knife. On one knife that I made for myself I spent hours getting the handle to a shape and thickness that I thought felt perfect, only to have all my buddies tell me that it was too small in their hands. In my opinion there's nothing worse in a knife than an uncomfortable handle cause if you don't like the handle, you're not gonna want to use the knife.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.