• Smith Knifeworks
    Do you guys ( ladies, too? If there are any?) find yourself obsessing over material choices with balance of the knife in mind. I've started to really try and plan out material selection to end up with a knife that feels neutral in hand. It's wild how big of an impact the handle and pin material have on the balance. I'm making very thin 7-8" chef knives at the moment that are full tang. I find myself doing all sort of wacky stuff to try and get weight out of the handle. I've found that the G10 I have on hand is considerably more dense than the canvas Micarta I have. The olive colored micarta seems more dense than the natural colored micarta. Weird, but OK. I've taken to drilling the absolute shit out of the tang to relieve weight. I even find myself googling material density to find an acceptable handle pin material that will maintain strength and reduce weight. I love the look of copper and brass, but it's flat out too dense to get the balance i need when using a 1/4" pin. Natural handle materials relieve some of the issue, unless they're something that really dense and oily. But I kinda like the synthetic stuff. Carbon fiber may be a good option? It's priced relatively high compared to other materials, though. And I'm really not trying to be Tacti-cool.

Just thinking out loud, sorta. Anyone else find themselves rolling these ideas around in their head?
  • Josh Hiett
    Hidden tang=problem solved. That and titanium:)
  • Josh Hiett
    For serious though, I can’t understand why everyone clings to the full tang configuration. Through tang or hidden tang really opens the options for balance, aesthetics, integrity, shape.
  • Smith Knifeworks
    Yeah, I considered that. I just haven't made the attempt to tackle it. Maybe I should on the next knife. That is the obvious solution, I suppose.
  • Josh Hiett
    Go for it, and don’t look back!:) all you really need is a drill press and maybe a cut down rasp for broaching. If you’ve never done it and have questions I’ll totally answer them! I remember when I wanted to figure out hidden tangs and they seemed so impossible compared to full tangs. And they kinda were at first but now I can blast through fitting them quicker/better/easier than full tangs.
  • Madknives
    I too am interested in hidden/through tang knives but timid about the process. Any trips/videos you can recommend to assist?
    I’m doing stock removal only!
  • Smith Knifeworks
    It doesn't intimidate me as much as I just havent sat down and thought about it ad nauseam. For how I think, I have to understand the process then go through it to completion in my head before I even drill the first hole. I'll get to it soon. I've been thinking about Wa handles, so...that
  • Josh Hiett
    I think Nick Wheeler has videos and Karl Andersen has a bunch of amazing videos on how he does his take down style handles on YouTube.
  • Josh Hiett
    The way I do it is fit the bolster material first up to the blade where it’s perfect but still just a big block of some material. Then I get the face of the handle material block at the correct angle to mate to the bolster and also really flat, and superimpose the tang over the block and draw lines on the block around the tang. Then clamp it in my mill or drill press and drill one side of the tang slot then match the angle of the other side of the tang with my bit and drill that side. Then waller out in between the two holes with a combo of drilling and broaching and filing.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.