• patrick
    With all the talk about this grinder, or that one. What is so wrong with the starting maker to get an "OK-ISH " 2x72 like a grizzly or something like that? Some of us can't drop like 1,300 on a grinder. Some people say you HAVE to have a vfd. but what did we all do before them..... we learned and worked outside the box. whats your thoughts.
  • Chop Knives
    I would have killed for my first grinder to be a 2x72 Grizzly.

I used a 1x30 $60 grinder for my first 100 or so knives.

I think it’s easy to get envious when you see other makers with fancy kit, but most would have started with very little.

I say if you can get your hands on better kit go for it. The purist may say that the craft is being taken out of it, but if cavemen had electricity, they would have used it rather than shaper tools with flint.
  • patrick
    Thanks "chop" for the words. i did start with a 1x30. then went to 2x42. after I burnt it up I ran it off a belt drive with 3 pulley speeds. now I'm going to get a new one and using the 2x42 for the handles and light work. Most of my work now is 70% done on the anvil. I do believe people get in that idea that if it's not the best /newest thing it's not right. f3o4xy42jqtu3943.jpeg
    5acmsu376z9yyzd9.jpeg
  • Ross Vosloo
    i agree with Craig @Chop Knives , your work shouldnt be defined by what was used to make it with, rather with what you put into it.

70% done on the anvilpatrick
    also, on another forum im on where there is a high emphasis on forging, its often said that 10min at the anvil will save you an hour at the grinder. very true words. and something very satisfying about getting that near on pre form just right off the anvil
  • John Curran
    I got plans for the no weld 2x72 and built that. It sure wasn't the greatest but it worked good and from scrounging up all the parts probably only had $400 into maybe.
  • Karl Walter Tools
    I did build my grinder 2 years ago as well. The total cost was about the same as John Curran mentioned. For a beginner that was my most valuable tool. Now i still use it. Just some minor tweaks here and there. Maybe someone will doubt me, but grinder doesn't have to be fancy. It's great if you have VFD and horizontal / vertical tilt, but all in all it just needs to be 4 wheels that turn the belt, track the belt correctly and help you do the work. Self built 2by72 or 2by80" grinder will be better than almost any smaller commercially made grinder if you need it for knife grinding. IMHO.
  • Mike Romo
    My first few knives were all done with hacksaw and files, pure hand tools. I built a 2x72 grinder and added a step pulley so I would have a bit of speed control. Not long after, I bought the AMK77 single speed and really used it a ton. As I’ve said before, I moved too quickly and couldn’t afford the VFD. A mistake, perhaps, but in the end, I have now upgraded it and it really makes life easier.

All that being said, without some skill, touch, patience, ability to reason and evaluate what one is doing, all a big grinder is good for is ruining work in record time.

I know a lot of knives have been made on Grizzlies and 1x30s and plenty of others on other sizes and types. Those lower cost tools still serve a purpose once one upgrades.
  • Northmountainknives
    I've made my knives thus far with files...I just finished building a 2x72 grinder from a salvaged treadmill, and in the first hour of using it I overheated the motor. Before it was finished I showed it to a local knife maker (@roughrunforge on Instagram), and he said, "When you decide you are serious about knifemaking get a real grinder." When my motor overheated I ordered an OBM grinder...it'll be here Friday. By building that something from scratch I wasted money and time. Just my two cents, but if you are serious about it find a way to make it work. $1400.00 isn't that much if you think about all the knives you can make with that one investment.
  • Zach Byrne
    If you really want to go cheap then you can make your own. If you do some research on youtube you can find plenty of videos of people that build their own using materials as simple as skateboard wheels, 2x4's and a bench grinder to power it. It's not the most elegant solution, but it's a hell of a lot better than a 1x30 or a filing jig
  • Phil Mayo
    Hi all! I live in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK and currently use a 4x36 Clarke grinder that I’ve ‘borrowed’ off my dad. Would love a 2x72 but a bit expensive for me at the mo. I have seen some Polish ones on eBay for about £400 but so far resisted. Are there any grinders available in the UK? Shipping something so heavy from the US would be a small fortune I’m guessing.

Regards and cracking bit o’ podcast lads!!

James Mayo Knives
  • BalticBlades

This is in the suppliers list http://multitoolproducts.com/shop#!/SM-72-EU-Belt-Grinder-Body-2-x-72-50mm-x-1830mm/p/130836327/category=32629516

But I as well am in search of a local European distributor of grinders with various attachments such as radius platens.

If anyone knows local EU makers/companies, please share :)
  • Phil Mayo
    that’s awesome, thanks for the link
  • Swift Knives UK
    If you do purchase, keep us all updated.
  • Matt Brookes
    Claryx metal works grinders look amazing and they're a good price. If I had the cash that's way I'd go. https://claryxmetalworks.com/
  • BalticBlades

Wow man, they look so good, really quality made, the price is fine, but the only thing that bugs my mind, is the groves on the platen wheels, if you want to do some handle work on those, I guess they would leave some unwanted marks on the material.
  • Matt Brookes
    yeah they look beautifully engineered. I follow a couple of makers on Instagram who have them and they're really happy with them. Took me a while to see what you meant with regards the grooves, to be honest, it wouldn't concern me, I doubt it'd make any marks on you work, but if you were concerned I'm sure claryx would be able to put your mind at ease. They do small wheel attachments too as well as a rotary platen which you could do handle work on.

I'd love one of these, I think it'd be a game changer. I'm in no way affiliated with Claryx Metalworks!!! :lol:
  • Phil Mayo
    good googly moogly, that is a lovely bit of grinder is that! I better get saving, I can’t afford it even without the Vat! Ha!
    Think I’m going to crack on with the 4x36, sell a few more knives and put any profits away for this.

Or do I buy a heat treating oven so I can do stainless.......
  • BalticBlades
    Also I've found these Russian makers http://beltgrinder.ru/
  • Matt Brookes
    Ha! You could quite easily spend every penny you make on kit. I would love that grinder. I built my own and a heat treat oven. There's pics etc on my Instagram.
  • Phil Mayo
    just started following you, I’ll have a look! At the mo, cos I’m only learning still, I’m using 01, using firebricks, mapping gas and a magnet for hardening and kitchen oven for tempering.
  • Matt Brookes
    thanks mate, I've returned the favour.

Sounds like how many of us started out. Good luck Phil.

PS can I suggest 80crv2 from GFS knife supplies. It's a really forgiving steel and beautiful to work with. Just tell David I sent you! :wink:
  • Phil Mayo
    thanks! Will do! On a side note, your makers marks are really crisp, I’ve got the brother label printer with the stencil tape and it’s just not coming out 100%. Think the liquid is bleeding a tad under neath. Only used it once so far so I’ll have a play about. Thanks for the recommend cheers!
  • Matt Brookes
    Yeah! I use vinyl stencils that actually stick to the blade. There's a thread on here somewhere where we discuss differing methods.
  • Phil Mayo
    just finished reading it, thank you.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.