• JR Knifemaker
    Evening all-
    Looking for some advice.
    At the moment my current (and perfect) workshop is about a ten minute drive away from my house at my father’s address. At my house I have a basement which could be an ideal space for a workshop, and I’m considering whether to move my workshop over here. There’d be obvious benefits to this. However, it’s a very unventilated space, with a damp problem. I’ve put some photos below.

This is the space:
    4hyp9a57li9kimyl.jpeg

It’s a Victorian coal chute (typical of Welsh houses this age), and does have a grate (where the coal would be poured) leading to my small front garden path which could work as a ventilation duct maybe?

rhhym8lzwv9mp18d.jpeg

And this is what the damp problem does to the wall or any wood which is exposed down there:

0mwhebvfxg21j4zr.jpeg

1jhrlfi86583kkrg.jpeg

Any advice? Do we think this is a goer down the line?

Thanks all
    Jake
  • Northmountainknives
    Getting the air moving down there should help. Could you get a dehumidifier to put down there?
  • Swift Knives UK
    I'd put a door on it and turn it into a grinding / dirty room. Maybe put a extractor fan at the top of the chute to keep the air mooving.
  • JR Knifemaker
    Thanks both. I think I can get the air moving with an extractor. And I was hoping that by having machines down there, with the air moving, it would solve the humidity problem. Could the humidity be cause by stagnant air?
  • Swift Knives UK
    Im no builder / surveyor but possibly a bit more that just the air, could be rising damp etc as its underground and an old building. I dont think you will be able to solve it easily. If you do have machinery down there it may get a bit rusty too due to the damp. My workshop is an old concrete garage with broken glass windows and no insulation so I have the same problem with damp in the winter.
  • JR Knifemaker

This is what worries me. Setting it all up, nice grinder, eventually an evenheat, lots of bits and bobs, then it all goes mouldy and rusty!
    Hmmmmm...... May have to rethink this one...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.