• Clark Forge
    Just wanted to let you guys know that on the podcast last week the talk about the presses was a little misunderstood. You have the right idea about the fly press ( sort of ) but the hydraulic press is definitely a major part of the forging process for many of us makers. Jeff got on a bit of a rant about the “car jack” or hand pump press. This is not at all what the listener is asking about. They are referring to a electric hydraulic pump that pushes pressure into a ram and die. Depending on the set up you can have ram that moves very quickly. Don’t get it twisted ... it’s not as fast or hit as hard as a power hammer but when im squeezing a canister Damascus billet I have yet to find a better way of applying even pressure to the walls of said canister. My preferred method is to construct a top and bottom die out of heavy wall angle iron to make a “diamond” shape to press all four walls of the canister together evenly. It also makes short work of mono steel drawing out with fuller dies. Great show guys keep up the good work and thanks, mad respect.

Chad Clark @ Clark Forge
  • Geoff Feder
    I was under the impression it was 2 types of no power presses.
  • Clark Forge
    Sorry about the name spelling Geoff
  • Geoff Feder
    No problemo I’m with you
  • Mike Romo
    Check out Floris Postmes on Youtube, a young kid from France, I believe.....he does some knife forging using a flypress.
  • Geoff Feder
    Cool thanks. I love a fly press
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.