• Clark Forge
    So on the topic of “safety third”, er, or, I meant first.... After a longer than normal forging technique I was belt sanding a full tang knife with an obscene amount of hours into it the other day and was down to the last touches before hand sanding. After dipping the blade in water to maintain a cool temperature it slipped out of my hand. It’s at this time usually where I feel like the world snaps into “slow mo” with the devil on one shoulder and the angle on the other..... on one hand it’s extremely dangerous to try to snatch the blade mid air, but on the other I’ve got so much f**king time in this build and no one wants to start over from the broken blade blues. In my infinite wisdom I decided that there is a good chance that the blade wouldn’t even cut me. I won’t gross out the listeners with a pic but let’s just say two things : (1) the butt end of the tang landed 90 degrees with the blade sticking straight up and as I grabbed for it, it bounced straight up and stuck itself dead centre in the palm of my hand and remained there even after I shook it from reflex. & (2) as I had to use my left hand to remove it I could almost here Mr. Lockwood say “I’ll never do that again !”

Love the pod cast , don’t love the stitches ! ! !
  • Mike Romo
    Talk about a turn for the worse! Ouch man. Ok, in the end, did the blade survive?? Inquiring minds want to know.
  • Clark Forge
    Yes the knife did survive and the scales aren’t on yet so no damage to them.... although one handed, hand sanding is definitely taking some time.... here it is with a bit of hand sanding done to about 400 grit. Also I thought I would add the scales in the pics... I have been experimenting with some kind of off the wall blade shapes, so I thought I would do the same with the handle material. Anyway they are two types of maple laminated together, dark Brazilian maple on the inside with a light spalted maple on the outside. (Originally from replacement scales for a Fender guitar) yrtzqopgj3qq121o.jpeg
  • JR Knifemaker
    Admit it though, there was great relief when the knife was unharmed? The things we do....
  • JR Knifemaker
    Admit it though, there was great relief when the knife was unharmed? The things we do....
  • Mike Romo
    Beautiful blade. Love the scales. Wounds heal. Chicks dig scars. LOL
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.