• Josh Hiett
    Currently I’m focused on building a new shop and not knifemaking right now. But I got to see a crown stag handled scagel and i was really drawn to it. Like really obsessively drawn to it. Like as soon as my tools are back online fuck my orders I want to make a scagel knife. Lol. I’m having trouble wrapping my head around drilling and fitting the tang slot on the stag end. Like how do you hold such an extreme shape and what is referenced to make it turn out straight?
  • Fire beard forge
    Firstly I am not an expert on antler handled knives this is just what worked for me, I just drilled a round whole the width of my hidden tang to get out all the pith with some leather super glue to my vise jaws so I didn't chip the antler, but with a round whole you can just rotate it to any position you want during glue up. Hope this helps man
  • Josh Hiett
    that makes perfect sense. So it’s glued up 100%then the handle is ground down? In my normal handle making procedures I finish everything about a handle 99.99%
  • Fire beard forge
    Yeah I normally glue up and then grind down, glad I could help
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.