• Jeff Kushen
    I'd like to hear your thoughts on the old adage for oiling wood handles, which is "after initial oiling, re-oil once a day for a week, once a week for a month, then once a month for a year. After that re-oil annually/as needed."
    This saying is so old, it obviously refers to un-stabilized wood. But what about stabilized wood? Would you still use this method?
  • Neil Yeager
    If properly stabilized the scale should not absorb much if any oil. I have still done it and let it polymerize and then polished. Seemed to work fine and gave a nice finish.
  • JR Knifemaker
    also does this apply to only certain woods?
    I steer clear of unstabilised wooden scales unless it’s the super hard stuff: Ebony, black palm, etc. Do these need that adage?! The oil I find barely penetrates!
  • Jeff Kushen
    JR, for very dense or oily woods, I wouldn't bother. Verawood, Lignum Vitae, Ebony and the like as you mentioned won't really take much. But I do put a light coat on when shipping so they see a shiny handle when they open the box.

As for stabilized, I asked that question myself. I got no answers, so I am going to go with the same as dense woods. A light coat just before shipping.

HTH!
  • Jeff Kushen
    And now I see I have an answer! Thanks Neil! Thats what I was thinking myself!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.