• Ben Hayhurst
    This question is for @Mareko Maumasi. what is you preffered way to tile your mosaic damascus?
  • Mareko Maumasi
    Hi Ben,
    Basically I stack 'em, tack 'em, and smack 'em.
    Once I've achieved a pattern that I would like to then tile out, I cut off as many pieces as I think I need for the size of knife I'm forging (usually 5-8 pieces depending on the pattern and usually a minimum of 3/4" long).
    I then stack the pieces up and use a tig welder to fusion weld the pieces together, being sure to wrap all the weld joints.
    Finally, I get the mini-billet up to temp and gently tap the stack hight wise on my hammer, only looking for about 1/8" of reduction in height.
    I do this for 3 heat rounds before I start working the billet back out and start forging my blade.
    I hope this helps.
    -M
  • Ben Hayhurst
    @Mareko Maumasi Thanks!
    I have done it like that before, but I always ended up with the pattern distorted and unequal on the sides of the blade. It must be an experience thing. I will keep at it. My last try I did an accordian cut, and it worked pretty well, but I lost so much more material.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.