• DBUTLER2012
    Hey guys I’m going to make a 2x72 grinder and I my last hang up is the motor I’m trying to decide wether to go with a 2hp or 3hp the only thing is if I go with the 3 I have to put my electrician hat on and figure out where a want a new 220 plug in the shop and wire it up but basically what I’m wondering is the extra power worth not being able to put it where ever because I’m pretty sure I’m going to put it somewhere and a while later there will be a better spot for it lol thanks for the help
  • Ryan Bales
    Are you planning on using a VFD? I’m sure bigger is better but for what it’s worth both my grinder have a 1hp motor and VFD and I’ve not stalled them.

My suggestion and that of most when this question comes up is to consider variable speed (a VFD) before motor HP. 2h is also plenty.
  • DBUTLER2012
    I can’t afford a VFD yet I think I’m going to use step pullys and a 2hp thanks for the input
  • Kevin Maytum
    I have a 2hp 3ph motor that runs off a VFD and that is more then enough power. If you decide to go the VFD route you can pick one up for under $100 on Amazon. It won’t have a dust proof case but you can buy a electrical box for it to go in.
  • DBUTLER2012
    Would you have a link for that I decided to go with the 2hp
  • Kevin Maytum
    Here is a link for a 220v 3hp vfd. It take 220v single phase input and give you 3ph output. This style is a little harder to program than the Nema 4x but if you follow the instructions it’s not to bad. Also this one is not dust proof so you will need to put it in a box of some kind to protect it. This thing will run any 220v 3hp or below 3ph motor.

https://www.amazon.com/Variable-Frequency-Drive%EF%BC%8CMYSWEETY-Converter-VFD-2-2KW/dp/B07D76365G
  • Logan Sumrell
    I made a home made 2x72. I got a screaming deal on a 3hp. To be honest, it is way more than I need. It will probably just wear out bearings faster. I am only set for a single speed, no VFD. It is just single phase. I would much rather have a 2 hp with vfd or the option to add later on.
  • DBUTLER2012
    Yea I think I’m goin with 2hp for the 110 plug
  • Jeff Kushen
    Running 220 is easy, but PAY ATTENTION. Also you can find 2 and 3hp 220v WEG motors on ebay all day long for less than $100.

I ran the 220v line for my grinder. Electrician wanted $800. I did it for my time and $60 in wire and parts. I even sprang for a twist lock plug and outlet. Home Depot has great cable for powering these, its made for shop equipment. Its thick, very flexible and waterproof. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-By-the-Foot-8-4-600-Volt-CU-Black-Flexible-Portable-Power-SOOW-Cord-55809399/204725138
  • Aaron Wiederholt
    Can I ask you a question? Building my 2x72 grinder, don't have the capability for 220... Is there a vfd for 110v 2hp motors? Would really like the vfd for other processes than profiling and shaping.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.