• Phil Mayo
    I’ve had a little play with mustard on an older knife just to see what happened and I wasn’t thrilled with the results so I was going to try warm vinegar.
    I’ve seen some patinas I like, Doveton Fletcher does a nice consistent effect where as others Swift Knives and Blok knives have a texture to their patinas which looks great to.
    I’m using 01 tool steel at the mo, is there any tutorials? Or has anyone got any do and donts when attempting?

Regards

James Mayo Knives
  • Tom
    I was going to suggest @Swift Knives UK but you beat me to it. Craig has some beautiful finishes on his blades. No doubt he’s got some great tips.
  • Swift Knives UK
    Hi Phil

As ive been mentioned I'll give you my two cents. I use mustard as a finish to the patina to add some detail, not to start. As you've mentioned vinegar will give you a decent base to build upon for darker effects. Experiment is what I'd say. If it looks cack just rub it down and start again.
  • Phil Mayo
    Awesome, thanks you both inputs
  • Jeff Kushen
    Hot apple cider vinegar, but don't smell it! I let it sit about a half hour, then rinse. Next time I do it, I'm going to try Mareko's coffee trick for making it darker.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.