• JR Knifemaker
    Just a thought after another superb episode this week. Something which resonated with me about keeping creative when you can’t find enough shop time! With a new baby having arrived, I’ve not stepped into my shop for a couple of weeks, and I’m dying to get back in there! I was wanting to find something to fill that void I could do at home while baby sleeps, and for me it’s leather work. Simple, clean, and quiet! With very basic tools you can create really satisfying items that compliment the main show of knifemaking:

fjs58viqipkpjpyx.jpeg
    vbbjdg67tpdrwrvb.jpeg
    t7aud1n33wluvqtb.jpeg
    0lmn1jkvcc05ihxj.jpeg

And you progress quite quickly. Obviously my leatherwork is nothing grand, but it’s improving, and it’s better than a right angle grinder at not waking the baby.

Jake
  • Tom
    Congrats on the new baby, Jake. Hope everything’s going well. Welcome to fatherhood
  • JR Knifemaker
    thanks Tom! It’s a wonderful, frightening new world!
  • EbonbladeCustoms
    Grats on the new addition, I've been looking to get into leatherwork myself. Thinking Tandy or my local hobby lobby would be good to get the basics. Any words of wisdom?
  • JR Knifemaker
    I was lucky in that my mother already had all the kit, but when it comes to buying my own, I’d go with Tandy. Unless anyone else knows a better option?
  • Jeff Kushen
    I have found that Tandy people know their product and have skill sets they are willing to share. However, you can buy the same equipment online at a VERY Discounted price! The swivel knife, stamps and even belt end cutters are available on Amazon for less than $10 each. And you can get a very good speed sewing awl at Harbor freight for a fraction of the cost of Tandy. Also you may want to go to Youtube and check out the Weaver Leather Craft channel, Chuck Dorsett is a great instructor and he gives you all the basics and some advanced techniques as well! Good luck and have FUN!
  • JR Knifemaker
    thanks Jeff. You’re on a roll today! I’ll take a look at that YouTube channel been looking for a good one.
  • EbonbladeCustoms
    @Jeff Kushen thanks for the heads up I'll check him out
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.