• JD Eyler
    Hey howdy hey! After listening to the most recent episode (61) I figured I would make a post about Fusion 360. For those of you who want a cad software that is A. free B. Super easy to pic up and C. extremely versatile then look no further.

I got it a few weeks ago and after just three or four videos I have enough of an understanding to work up just about anything. I have used it mostly for 3D modeling of furniture but I've done 3D printed
    parts and a truck hunting rack on it as well. Its also very user friendly for 2D drawing as well. I plan on getting some knives water jet cut from NJSB using Fusion as my cad drawing.

Like I said the software is free, just get the trial and at the end just fill out the info and BOOM you are rockin and rollin.

Here's some pics of stuff I've drawn up
    8ys3llj7oyveerou.jpg
    wzrdjv8nddcr92uu.jpg
  • Ryan Bales
    Awesome! In my day job i support Fusion 360 for Autodesk!

I draw most of my knives in Fusion or AutoCAD - Knives drawn and rendered in Fusion

And if anyone wanted to know - this is me: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/3748360
  • JD Eyler
    Man I am blown away! those renderings are so clean! Did you use the included materials in Fusion or did you have to download other material? Ive never been able to have something render with such sheen...
  • Ryan Bales
    For the colors i used titanium but changed the color to be closer to what i'll hopefully achieve in anodizing. The glossy materials really reflect the lighting well and a lot of rendering is the lighting, well most of it anyway. I use grid lighting a fair amount but a big part of it is also how robust the cloud renderer is. You can get identical or close to with local rendering.

Here is a local next to a cloud:

epzs0428m68vg51y.png l8bzl2f85vyx57yf.png

There isn't much difference at that size/scale - 1280x1024 1.3mp Web render set to Final.
  • JD Eyler
    Awesome thanks for the info! looking forward to trying out some knives later on!
  • Ryan Bales
    For sure! If you need any help let me know!
  • EbonbladeCustoms
    after seeing what everyone is cooking up with, i think im going to give fusion a shot. If its free i got nothing to lose.
  • JD Eyler
    Highly recommended and the possibilities are endless! And as you can see with Ryan up there, there is no shortage of people who are willing to help out if you have questions!
  • EbonbladeCustoms
    88766724qrymbh6w.jpg

Jumped in blind last with fusion and came out with this. Definitely going to need to watch some videos but I see a lot of potential
  • Ryan Bales
    Looks good! The Fusion 360 forums are a great place to ask questions and you'll see me on there a fair amount.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.