• Northmountainknives
    So I recently got my first order from a random (not a friend or friend of a friend) person that found my Instagram/website. I emailed him several updated and questions as I was working on his knife and he always answered promptly until a week ago. I sent him an email asking him a question about his knife handle... He didn't answer. So I waited 5 days and emailed him again. It's been 3 more days since then (8 since the first unanswered email) and I still haven't heard from him. Do I stop work on his knife and just wait to hear indefinitely? Wait a week? A month? Have you guys experienced this situation and how did you handle it?
  • JR Knifemaker
    Mate it’s infuriating. At this stage we can assume it’s someone who does poor business. Make the knife as you want and sell it elsewhere? Or keep it for yourself!
  • EbonbladeCustoms
    Yeah I'd have to agree with JR. You already put time into the piece don't cut your losses, your time is money. Make what you think will sell and offer it up as a "limited run" item. Hell it may become something to add to your catalog of offers later
  • Northmountainknives
    Thanks guys. I was thinking since it is an order I would maybe wait an appropriate amount of time and then, yeah, go ahead and post it for sale. I was thinking a couple weeks or something? How does that sound? Some of my friends have been saying I should wait as long as a month.
  • Jeff Kushen
    I haven't had that situation, but I would put it up for sale. if a customer hasn't contacted you after 7 days, I'd say its fair game. Hopefully its not a full custom job that 'only a mother would love'. If he wants a knife, he can call back! At which time you will start working on it again. No need to waste the one you started!

I had a guy order a custom version of my E.D.C. knife, wanted it 1/4" thick. AFTER I had it heat treated, he called and changed his order to the normal version, he didn't want the 1/4" thick one any more. At least he ordered 2 of the normal ones. BUT I still have the thick one sitting on my rack, hopefully it will sell sometime!
  • EbonbladeCustoms
    at the time of your post you had waited 8 days, and its been 4 days since your post for a total of 12 days. I think 2 weeks is more than enough time thats feasible to wait. Dont fall into the "sunk cost" trap, which of your not familar with its "...refers to a tendency for people to irrationally follow through on an activity that is not meeting their expectations. This is because of the time and/or money they have already invested." (https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/sunk-cost-trap.asp). I'd agree with Jeff, I'd list it for sale sooner rather than later and get other peoples eye on it.
  • Northmountainknives
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I followed it and emailed the former customer telling him I'd wait a few more days for a total of 2 weeks, and if I heard back I'd finish the knife as I saw fit, and list it for sale. That time has come and gone so I'm in the process of finishing it up and I'll hopefully be listing it for sale sometime next week. Thanks again for all your help!
  • EbonbladeCustoms
    If you wouldn't mind post pictures when your done, we'd love to see your work.
  • Jeff Kushen
    Maybe start taking a non-refundable deposit on all custom orders. :-) That way its a win-win if they don't show. You get to keep the deposit and can still resell the knife.
  • Northmountainknives
    81mgqpyjuiot0oxn.jpg
    Here is the knife in question. 1084, forced patina, black walnut and brass.
  • JR Knifemaker
    It’s a lovely knife. Sell it to someone else!
  • Northmountainknives
    Update...it's sold to someone else .. Just have to knock out a sheath.
  • Jeff Kushen
    That's great! Hey, you know wha tyou should do? ( ;-P ) Now start charging a non-refundable deposit!
  • Greenbeetleknives
    Solid knife! Second the nonrefundable deposit.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.