• Jeff Kushen
    I. Thou shalt always grind away from your body
    II. Thou shalt wear eye protection.
    III. Thou shalt wear a respirator (not a bandana!)
    IV. Thou shalt keep cords away from the work area
    V. Thou shalt not spray sparks towards Acetone, gasoline, or other flammable/combustible containers or materials.
    VI. Thou shalt always clamp securely whatever you are grinding! (Do NOT hold it in your hands!!)
    VII. Thou shall keep children, pets, spouses and coworkers our of the spark shower/debris field.
    VIII. When using cutting blades, thou shalt wear a full face shield.
    IX. Thou shalt wear proper attire (Pants and shoes, not shorts and flip flops. You WILL regret sparks showering onto your shins and feet!)
    X. Thou shalt grind in a well lit area.

Any other ideas folks?
  • Chop Knives
    Gloves, don’t wear thick loose fitting gloves. Very easy to get caught up.
  • Jeff Kushen
    If I can figure out how to add it, that"s a keeper!

XI. Thou shalt not worry about having filthy hands! (Gloves can be dangerous around rotating equipment!)

You'd think that would have been FIRST considering what happened to me last MAY! Thanks Craig!
  • EbonbladeCustoms
    I'd understand this for thick work gloves what what about skin tight nylon or latex disposables?
  • Tom
    Nylon gloves are being banned in a lot of work places that use grinders nowadays due to the fact they aren’t heat tested and have a tendency to burn/melt. I’ve got a few scars up my left hand from the nitrile work gloves where I wasn’t paying attention to my grinder sparks and it melted over me. If I’m going to wear gloves these days I generally go with tig gloves. Thin, heat proof, generally safe.
  • Neil Yeager
    I followed all of the rules and still ended up giving my thumb a manicure with a 40 grit flap disk. Not recommended.
  • Jeff Kushen
    Neil, I didn't think we had to go there, bit if you insist....

XII. Thou shalt keep thy hands, feet, face and other body parts away from the spinning portion of the grinder!
  • Neil Yeager
    Thanks, the hell of it is, it was one of those things, I got into a bit of an odd angle and then whack, it was one of those moments when you say what the H .. just happened. Plus as it turned out it was on the first day of a long break from my "day" job so I had so much planned. Could not do anything for the balance of the time.
  • Jeff Kushen
    It happens to us all st one time or another! One day maybe i will tell the tale of my arm wrestling contest with a 3/4hp drill press I had last May!

Heal fast and eat lots of protein and veggies to help it go faster!
  • Tom
    We’ve all been there and we all have stories. Just look at Craig and his 45 degree finger. You aren’t the first or last one to do something stupid, you’re just the latest member of the club
  • Jeff Kushen
    You are looking at it wrong Neil...You had a perfectly good reason to rest and relax on your vacation, and the wife can"t complain about it! lol
  • eeny
    Only hand tighten new discs on.....! The amount of grinders I've seen with pneumatic chisel slots in the nut....well!
  • Jeff Kushen
    The Commandments that be!

I. Thou shalt always grind away from your body
    II. Thou shalt wear eye protection.
    III. Thou shalt wear a respirator (not a bandana!)
    IV. Thou shalt keep cords away from the work area
    V. Thou shalt not spray sparks towards Acetone, gasoline, or other flammable/combustible containers or materials.
    VI. Thou shalt always clamp securely whatever you are grinding! (Do NOT hold it in your hands!!)
    VII. Thou shall keep children, pets, spouses and coworkers our of the spark shower/debris field.
    VIII. When using cutting blades, thou shalt wear a full face shield.
    IX. Thou shalt wear proper attire (Pants and shoes, not shorts and flip flops. You WILL regret sparks showering onto your shins and feet!)
    X. Thou shalt grind in a well lit area.
    XI. Thou shalt not worry about having filthy hands! (Gloves can be dangerous around rotating equipment!)
    XII. Thou shalt keep thy hands, feet, face and other body parts away from the spinning portion of the grinder!
    XIII. Thou shalt not over tighten the disc nut! It doesn't take much!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.