• Neil Yeager
    New guy here, hence the polite title.

I have been making for a long time on and off, but only seriously in the past 2 years or so. How do you avoid getting intimidated by seeing all of the amazing work around? In particular on Instagram ect. Sometimes I see some posts and I think man no way can I even be close to that league.
  • Chop Knives
    People generally only show their best work - don't be intimated as for every pic there are lots of fails.

Every knife you make will get better and its amazing to look back and see the progression - even if it doesn't feel like it now.
  • JR Knifemaker
    What Craig said.
    There’s a lot of things I omit from my Instagram account ... :monkey:
  • EbonbladeCustoms
    Social media tends to only show the cream of the crop and not the 17 prior failures and trips to the hospital to get stitches lol. I have posted failures before for the sake of seeing how far I've come from in the future when I look back. Added bonus you'll never know who may comment with a solution or something you haven't considered. We're all just sharing the story of our craft, sometimes our trials and tribulations are a part of it.
  • Jeff Kushen
    I don't get intimidated. I get INSPIRED! That's the BEST thing about this community, see something you like, the maker will always give you a tip!. We must be the community with the LEAST competitive, most cooperative craftsman ever!

if you don't like what you did? Chuck it in the scraps bucket (or 35 gal. barrel like mine) and make something you DO like! We are all always pushing each other to do better. So don't get discouraged or intimidated, get inspired and keep going!
  • Neil Yeager
    Good advice thanks.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.