• Blackbear74
    When you do decorative file work in the spine of a full tang knife, what fills in the gaps between the handle scales and the tang? Is it just filled with epoxy or is there anything at all in the file work? I would think that it would be tough to clean if there is nothing in these "pockets". Love the podcast and can't wait until a new one comes out.
  • Chop Knives
    Epoxy, can mix in some colour pigment too
  • Jeff Kushen
    You can get some great nail polish colors at the Dollar store, and when you do your file work, if you want it to be filled, 'under cut' it a bit. I mean make the walls of your cuts slightly angled, and it will help hold the epoxy after its ground clean. Think of the letter U with the top squished in a bit! And also don't polish them to a high shine inside. A rough channel will hold the decorative epoxy better than a smooth sided one.
  • David Gray
    I've been wanting to do the file work on the spine but i seem not to be able to find a good video any help in this gentlemen?
  • Chop Knives
    I'll bring it up on the next show.

Basically, file before harding, get some good diamond needle files and hols a steady angle. Once you've done it a few times you will master it easily.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.