• Neil Yeager
    I am thinking to start doing some purchased completed blades. I have a supplier from Finland for Elmax and also Wootz steels blades. I would do all of the scale design, assembly and final finishing. Question is: Is it OK to etch my makers mark on the blade as well? I will in no way alter or delete the original markings on the blade and as I offer them for sale it will be with full disclosure that the blades are of a specific manufacturer. But frankly I will end up putting in significant work on these and hope to have some lasting mark.
  • Chop Knives
    As long as you are upfront about it, I can’t see why it would be a problem.
  • Jeff Kushen
    I'm with Craig on this. As long as you don't try to hide the original maker's info and inform your purchasers this is what you are doing, I think its fine. There is a guy in another forum that is making a pretty decent living just putting natural wood handles on purchased bare Mora blades! They look great, and he has disclaimers and statements on his website about the blades being 'proudly manufactured to exacting tolerences by Morakniv Company..." You can see they sell them here. https://morakniv.se/en/product/knife-blade-blanks/?v=7516fd43adaa
  • Neil Yeager
    The situation is after the first of the year I will be out of my main shop for several months and working where I have minimal metal capabilities. So Actually i enjoy the wood (scale) part and leather work, so I hope this can work out. Although I appreciate the Mora stuff, I am looking higher end at Elmax and Wootz product. I really would not have the capabilities anyway to work with this material. And I figure if I am going to put in significant effort and use premium scales, I want a better final product.

The more I am thinking about it I will reach out to the guys in Finland and advise them of my plan. Not for an endorsement but as a professional courtesy. If they say no to the co-branding stamp then I have to think it through.
  • Jeff Kushen
    You can buy all kinds of "blade blanks" made in damascus patters or high end mono steels. Just search eBay, Etsy or even Knifekits.com and other suppliers.
  • Dean
    Never knew about that website!!! Spent an hour looking at all the designs and parts and didn’t even scratch the surface. Simply AMAZING thank you Jeff Kushen
  • Jeff Kushen
    Dean, also NewJersey Steel Baron can pre-cut your blanks for you when you purchase the steel from them. So if you want to make YOUR knives, and not finish blades designed by someone else, that could be a time saving option. If you DO buy pre-made blanks, please don't try to pass them off as your own custom designs! I always find it funny when I see on Instagram 4 or 5 people touting their 'new custom designs' and they are the SAME BLADE! These people are just buying blades from Knifekits, Etsy, or wherever and slapping handles on them and passing them off as their own work. That is just dishonest IMHO. Your buyer should know what they are buying.
    Personally, I design my own and forge and/or grind each one out, but when I get to the point of needing large runs, I'm probably going to be sending NJSB some cad files!
  • Dean
    Yeah I totally agree. I was looking at there intricate guards and pommels. Atm I’m only doing one offs so I still enjoy doing my own blade shaping and handle designs
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.