• Finn Leslie
    Anyone have a recommendation on where to order forging steels in round stock? I've never seen it on the normal sites where knife makers buy steel (like NJ Steel Baron and AKS). Seems like everywhere I look it's all rectangular and flat stock. Any suppliers I've found that DO carry round stock only sell mild steel or outrageously priced tool steel. I'd really like to get my hands on some good stuff for a decent price.
  • Neil Yeager
    I have bought a lot from Victor Machinery. I think they only sell O1, but have it in a great variety of diameters. Good company , quick service.

https://www.victornet.com/category/Metric-Oil-Hardening-Drill-Rod/1014.html
  • JH Forgeworks
    If you search for 01 and W1 drill rod you can usually find it fairly readily. I've been trying to find 1 inch 10 series for a while with minimal luck.
  • Finn Leslie
    I did find that NJ steel baron has 5160 round stock but it gets sold out pretty quick when they stock it. So far I definitely found O1 and W1 to be readily available at a lot of places. KBC tools has some of the cheaper prices I’ve seen https://www.kbctools.com/itemdetail/1-950-100
  • Jeff Kushen
    I get 70% of my steel from Admiral Steel (Sorry NJSB!) Longer lengths and more size variety, and have never had an out of stock issue for anything I wanted. Check with them, and email if you DON'T see something you want.. it may still be there.
  • Finn Leslie
    Thanks. I’ve been on their website before but never ordered from them so I totally forgot to look there. Definitely will look there
  • Smith Knifeworks
    There is some pretty good ( I've seen analytics) 108x round stock floating around. I believe Pop's knife supply sells it as 1085. The data I saw is more like 1080, but who cares. Rumor is that it's made by hitachi. Several Master Smiths are (or were) using it with good results. it's drops coming from big industry somewhere in South Carolina and it seems to be consistently good.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.