• Rix Raven
    Hi guys.
    My gas forge is falling apart so Im building a new one. Im trying out the ribbon burner.
    My current one is build of ceramic bricks and Im running a devils forge pro burner, but I have trouble getting it hot enough for welding. So my questions are: As Im using it for both quenching and normalising aaand welding billets, is it better to have 2 seperate gasforges? One for reaching welding temps and one for HT? And if so, what would you recommend building it of? Caowool or ceramic bricks with a layer of high temp mortar?
    Pictures are very welcome :)
  • Jeff Kushen
    I built my own forge... look up Propane bottle forge on YouTube, and let me know if you need some ceramic blanket! I have PLENTY of extra! AND DON'T SKIMP ON THE RIGIDIZER! Even if using a satinite type coating, still use rigidizer! And do not buy your hi-temp mortar at a big box store! Find a local Hearth & Patio shop! 2300 or 2800 degree F mortar for $6 a tube?? DONE!

I also would recommend 2 forges, or lining the bottom of the forge with HARD OVEN brick, as the flux will KILL soft brick or ceramic wool.

Another tip if you make your own, put it on a cart with wheels! I can't tell you how many people I talk to that hate having to move the forge! Mine was built on a old grill cart, and works great!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.