• JH Forgeworks
    I finally finished this W2 Santoku but, in my rush to complete it, I waxed the blade before putting my makers mark on it. So, I have to strip the blade and refinish it after the mark.

That said, when I initially etched and then neutralized the blade (windex with Amonia) it had a nice dark black contrast and good Ashi. Once I dried and then waxed the blade, it all turned to more of a mush. The hardened portion of the blade turned a grey/brown instead of the deep black. Meanwhile the Ashi is ultra black and the hamon is a muddy grey. Any idea why the change? Never had this happen before.

Since I have to strip and refinish the blade anyway, I’m thinking that a coffee etch might fix the black/contrast issue. My question is:

Will a coffee etch darken the blade without muting the hamon/still leaving it visible? I want to leave the blade dark as I’m not a huge fan of polished blades and prefer the heavy contrast as it goes well with the handle.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

qsxy6ke0y1200tix.jpeg
    1bv1rslel16qc0xp.jpeg
    aton4w9kntjscwy5.jpeg
  • JH Forgeworks
    Well, I went for it. Sanded the blade back, re-polished, added my makers mark and then re-etched the blade. This time though, I did a three hour coffee etch. Blade came out niiiice and dark. The hamon is actually almost hidden till you get it in the right light then it pops nicely. Definitely not what I was originally intending and took way more time than I wanted it to but, the blade is finally where I want it. 6j9up2tam6c3f2q6.jpeg
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.