• JR Knifemaker
    So on a similar note to last question I posted, how are we best preventing scale on oil hardened stainless steels? I’m struggling to see how I could remove the foil while it’s hot!
    Or shall I just go for air gardening alternatives?

GFS have a compound which you can paint on. Would this work with stainless?
  • JH Forgeworks
    Little late to the party but, almost all "oil hardening" stainless will also harden just as well with aluminum plates and compressed air. I haven't found any stainless yet that doesn't work this way. Come out clean and straight. Can't beat it.

I've debated looking into the anti-scaling compound for carbon steels though but, I tend to do a brute de forge finish on most of my carbon stuff anyway so, kinda of defeats the purpose.
  • JR Knifemaker
    I think like with all things, there’s no short cut here! I’ve got the scale compound and will try some more. But think I need to just get the steel wrap pouches and plate quench really......
    How crucial is the compressed air? That’s one thing I don’t have....
  • Jeff Kushen
    JR, if you have 'chilled' plates, the compressed air is not crucial at all.

If you are quenching only 1 blade at a time and your plates are at least 1" thick, you can put them in the freezer or if mounted to a vice, lay an ice pack or bag of frozen veggies ( :-) ) between the plates first.

But most of us haven't spent the money on 2" thick Aluminum plates with an internal circulation of chilling/refrigerated coolant.

If you don't have an air compressor, go to Harbor Freight or your local big box store and buy a pancake compressor and 'air gun' nozzle.

Here is one for $40! https://www.harborfreight.com/3-gal-13-HP-100-PSI-Oil-Free-Pancake-Air-Compressor-61615.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNzI4NTkxOTMiLCJza3UiOiI2MTYxNSIsImlzIjoiMzkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiMTAzODIifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

Total money spent should be less than $70. It will be worth it. Chill your plate, charge your compressor, and quench away... i would also use the compressor or ice pack to cool the plates between multiple knives.
  • JH Forgeworks

As Jeff mentioned, compressed air isn't absolutely necessary but certainly helps. If you're only doing one blade, you can chill the plate prior or between blades if doing multiple. The compressed air just helps the plates conduct the heat away a little easier. I've done it with and without compressed air and haven't noticed any difference but, I'm a stickler for following recipes when it comes to heat treat so, I still try to do it as often as possible.
  • JR Knifemaker
    Thanks both
    I think I’ll get myself down to screwfix, our harbor freight equivalent!
    I like the sound of this harbour freight pity we don’t have in Wales!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.