• Neil Yeager
    For you USA guys, are any of you using an outside heat treat company? Any recommendations, hopefully with reasonable lead times. I will be in the states come the first of the year, and was thinking to run a bug batch of blades through a commercial treater.

Neil
  • Jeff Kushen
    I hear great things about Peter's Heat Treating service. I personally HT all my own, but I also am not doing the volume some guys are where they don't have time to do it.
  • Neil Yeager
    Same with me I have heard some second hand accounts of Pete's, just hoping I could get some impressions from somebody that is giving them some work.

Thanks
  • Neil Yeager
    Jeff, what oven are you using? Do you have a Rockwell Tester? Or how are you confirming your results?
  • Jeff Kushen
    I currently am using a self-built HT oven, still waiting after over a month for my new Evenheat LB-18 to arrive.

I do a spot check with hardness files, but when I do a new recipe or steel i have a buddy who works at a stress testing company who will put some coupons on a Rockwell tester. Once my recipe is dialed in, i use files to spot check them.

If something doesnt seem right I take it back for testing and then backtrack what went wrong .
  • Dan Bidinger
    I use Peters and have had great results, I trust them. Their pricing just went up but I will continue to use them until I get my own oven because I think they are currently the best. Generally they return my blades in 3 weeks. I also did a couple batches with Trugrit but the second batch I sent took 3 months to get back and I had to pester them a lot. I like trugrit as a supplier but I won’t use them again for heat treating.
  • Neil Yeager
    3 Weeks is acceptable, 3 months no way. Plus it really irritates me to continually send follow ups! I see that Peters prices are now at US$33.00 per.
  • Dan Bidinger
    you really need to do lager batches when using Peters, with their new pricing structure it’s $33 for the first 4 and only $4 a blade after that. If you send in 15 blades it’s only $11.70 a blade and they use oxygen free furnaces and they cryo-treat every blade. Not a bad price if you are able to send larger quantities.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.