• Naubucknives
    Hi all- How do you guys organize your shop? I built a 10 x 12 foot shop and have a 2 x 72 grinder/ drill press set up. I am in the middle of trying to figure out a layout that makes sense for knife making? Do you guys have any general tips on how best to organize belts, tools, wood ect? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • JR Knifemaker
    hello mate
    I just got two of these from work that have proven a revolution! All abrasives and materials neatly arranged!

ab3vbhmjo0yne3nx.jpeg
  • Neil Yeager
    Her is my humble work space. All of the belts are organized above the main work bench. The far left drawer is storage for the hand sanding paper. All of my larger woodworking equipment is on wheels so I can move it out of the way as needed. 34z2vc9n0t29t9u1.jpg
    g8msxaa3xlect7da.jpg
  • JR Knifemaker
    awesome. You’d have to be organised. I’d be constantly losing everything.
  • Neil Yeager
    Fortunately i learned something from my father and I am super organized, everything in its place and kept put away!
  • Rix Raven
    Im in the process of moving the shop inside the house. (We are moving and house is to be demolished in time). Im setting up a horseshoe shape setup to work more effective. And a all purpose work table in the middle. Forge in another room.
  • Naubucknives
    Thank you all for the awesome tips!!!
  • Naubucknives
    The picture is really helpful. I like how you keep woodworking equipment mobile. Thank you!
  • Naubucknives
    I love the metal organization drawers. Very neat!
  • Neil Yeager
    Pics of the woodworking equipment rolled out. In the far background the table saw is also mobile.
    u9c13kx29uao9t11.jpg
  • JH Forgeworks
    I am also working out of a 10x12 shed I built from a kit from Lowes. (Side note, do NOT buy the kit. Pure overpriced sh*t. Could have built a better one myself for half the money)

I'll have to try to get you some pictures to help with an idea. Needless to say, benches and storage shelves are your friend in such a small space. I have a loft where I keep random larger tools and awkward stuff I don't consistently use. Another shelf to store odds and ends, table top running around half the shop with one side for a clean assembly/working area and the rest holding tool chests with everything from handle materials to hand abrasives and random tools. Peg board is great for keeping things organized and easily accessible. Porta-band and drill press are on the benches. I built a stand alone tilting table for my 2x72. All my grinder belts are on hooks on the wall next to the grinder and my grinder tool arms are in PVC tubes bolted to the grinder stand. I have a smaller Grizzly mill/drill on it's own stand. Anvil and base are up against the wall with the forge on a wheeled cart. When forging, anvil goes in the middle of the room and cart goes right outside the door. It's tight but, for just me putzing around, it works fine. I have room for the disc grinder setup I want to add but my blast cabinet and hopefully a forge press are going to be an issue... Be curious to see how you get on with yours.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.