• JH Forgeworks
    Hello all,
    I mostly do forged blades but, after making an edc type blade for an old army buddy, have received a lot of interest in similar type stuff. One was cerakoted and the other was acid etched and tumbled. Both needed to be blasted before receiving their finish. I bought a cabinet and put it at a friend's shop since he had a giant air compressor and, I don't. As I keep getting requests for these blades, I'm consistently struggling to get our schedules to match so that I can use my blasting cabinet in his shop. As such, I'm thinking it may be time to bite the bullet and just buy my own. I keep seeing recommendations of incredibly high CFM ratings for even small blasting cabinets. My question is this:

Can you run a small benchtop sandblast cabinet on a smaller (say 27-30 gallon) compressor that only gets about 5 cfm @ 90 PSI? Considering I'm just blasting knives and don't have an issue with having to wait a minute or two between sides, I'm struggling to find the advantage in spending three times the money to get a 15 cfm compressor. Not to mention the size, noise, direct wiring for 240 volt, etc. Has anyone run a cabinet on a smaller compressor? Curious what other's experience may be.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.