• Jeff Kushen
    We are all familiar with the credit card slogan, "What's in your wallet?" Well I'm asking whats on your bench? What are you working on?

I am working on a couple of things:

I have a commission for 12 of my 'Turkey' Bird-n-Trout knives for a local hunting club. These will be AEB-L with stabilized walnut and brass! Very classic!
    9a0b6cdj6szx2u16.jpg

I have a couple of custom knives for a customer, 1 Turkey in O1 with PurpleHeart scales, and a 'Beaver' Camp Knife in 12C27m (which is getting HARD to find!) with Black Palm scales. The Black Palm is a VERY interesting "wood"! It's actually a grass like bamboo and has an 'endgrain' that looks like a handful of straws! See pics.
    lwqlqvn6at5bn778.jpg
    d16t3od2ytq9fc8l.jpg

I also have a couple of my 'Warthog' survival knives in the works. 1 in 12C27m and 1 in S35Vn.
    cfn5dr5zo4471n8y.jpg

And lastly I have a customer requested (but canceled, gotta love the 30% non-refundable deposit on custom orders!) 'High-sabre grind' Beaver and a P.O.C. as yet unnamed 'American Puukko', both in 12C27m.
    39a26q53ixz5ynqe.jpg

I love stabilizing my own woods and am getting into resin casting as well! Check out the 'Purple-Haze' blocks below with aluminum honeycomb suspended inside! Gonna look awesome!
    yclh81yq49i294p7.jpg

Other than knives, I am building a tool arm and table for a 12" contact wheel.

So, What's on your workbench??
  • WingOnWing
    I don't have any pictures right now but I'm currently working on:

1x paring knife for a friend. chainsaw guide bar (probably 1095) + stabilized buckeye burl handle scales. ~95% complete

1x Nakiri-ish thing from me learning this year. Needs heat treating. Low priority to finish. 1080 steel, haven't thought about the handle scales yet.

1x Bread knife ish thing from me learning this year. Also needs heat treating. Also low priority. 1080 steel, haven't thought about the handle scales yet.

1x drop-point hunter with a ~5" blade for a friend. 1080 + padauk handle scales and mosaic pins (including a mosaic lanyard tube). Blade forged but not rough ground or heat treated yet

3x 7.5" chef knives for family for Christmas. 80crv2 with various handle scales and mosaic pins
    2x 6.5" chef knives for family for Christmas. 80crv2 with various handle scales and mosaic pins
  • Jeff Kushen
    Nice! I am sure they will love the gifts! I also have a few gifts I'm working on, but didnt include in the post. And a bunch of Cholla cactus showed up today for stabilizing and resin filling. I may make some scales available if there is interest.
  • JR Knifemaker
    Lovely idea Jeff
    Various ongoing for me. Two little 01 experiments. One is going to be for peeling oranges, skinning rabbits, sharpening pencils, opening boxes, and tying to the ends of bits of woods for some old fashioned jousting.

Mic from Brechfa knives over here in Carmarthen , west Wales, sent me some beautiful welsh oak which I’ve put some white liners on. Not sure where they’re going. Maybe the kitchen knives stacked you for Christmas.

GFS also sent some lovely zebra wood. Looking forward to seeing how that turns out

1by7yy5v43s9zq2d.jpeg
    pnq22n7mo7rf9xxu.jpeg
    i4xipdjps2rf1n6c.jpeg
    s7j5ufok2r9y6w1z.jpeg
    12e7z1m1moks1xcz.jpeg
  • Jeff Kushen
    Looking good JR!
  • WingOnWing
    Got two of the five chef knives forged out yesterday. First two chef knives I've ever done. Need to make some small corrections on the tangs but otherwise ready for some brief surface grinding and then on to heat treat. I forged them out pretty thick, but they are nice and straight and that's what matters.

klQpJwx.jpg
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.