• DBUTLER2012
    I’m starting To get serious about getting a heat treat kiln just wondering what models I should look at first mostly going to be doing Sub 10 inch hunting type knives and I can wire a plug for 240v no problem if needed just lookin for some suggestions the cheaper the better as long as it gets the job done like it should
  • JR Knifemaker

Obviously evenheat are massively popular. I’ve got the paragon and it’s awesome. And a bit cheaper. What steels are you looking to heat treat?
  • DBUTLER2012
    That’s the thin I’m a new guy right now I’m just doin 1084 out of the forge but I’d like to do stainless that way you don’t get the why is my knife rusting question after you tell them from the start that it is carbon steel so if you don’t take care of it it will rust
  • JH Forgeworks
    Choice will come down to your budget. Right now both evenheat and paragon have excellent rigs with touchscreen controls at pretty decent prices. Paragon has some nice advantages like multiple temperature zones, the evenheat is a little more intuitive from what I've seen. Either way, you really can't go wrong. Adding a programmable heat treat oven opens up a ton of possibilities.
  • DBUTLER2012
    I was more or less wondering what size everyone was using because I’m bad about doing the “it’s just another $100 for the next size up” thing
  • JH Forgeworks
    What kinds of blades do you make? Is there a chance that you'll be making swords or super long blades? Are you an edc and pocket knife kind of guy? For most people, the 18 inch ovens are more than enough. I sprung for a way larger heat treat oven than I needed "just in case" and have only used it once to heat treat a large blade for a friend. I've never made anything more than 15 inches long total. But, I "could" if I needed to. That said, in hindsight, I'd probably go with evenheat's new 18 inch with the touch screen.
  • David Singer
    These vertical knife kilns look interesting.

knifeklins.com
  • Jeff Kushen
    Just remember, with vertical, it will loose more heat than a horizontal oven. With that in mind it will take more recovery time.
  • David Singer
    not sure I’m following you. If it’s a kiln it (should) have a consistent and controlled temperature through out. What do you mean about recovery time?
    I like the idea of a vertical kiln so I really don’t have to worry about the blade warping. At least in the kiln.
  • Jeff Kushen
    If it has a door on it, just opening the door will allow heat to escape. Thus it will need to heat for a time to get back to temperature. Unless I am misunderstanding the concept, laws of thermodynamics state that a vertical heat loss would be greater than a horizontal heat loss given the volume of the opening, as heat rises.

"Consistent and controlled" is FAR from "exact". Even on the best ovens you will lose heat when opened, and it will need some recovery time to get back to temp.

If there is no door, then you have constant heat escaping, which means it has to work much harder to create and maintain a temp, and this your costs will be much MUCH higher to heat the same volume.
  • JH Forgeworks
    I have an evenheat and, when I open the door to check a blade, I lose anywhere from 35-70 degrees. This would be exacerbated by a vertical kiln. You're not going to lose "all" the heat as the bricks act as insulators and will maintain the temperature to a point. But there will absolutely be a loss in overall temperature of 50-100 degree F. Sure, it only takes 45-60 seconds to come back but, if you're treating multiple knives out of a vertical kiln, it "could" be an issue.

The only way to guarantee consistent and constant temp is with a salt tank. I'd love one but the danger involved and the currently volume with which I finish blades doesn't really justify it. Especially since I already own a digital kiln.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.