• WingOnWing
    I have a bit of a newbie question, though I've just never really seen it discussed much. I see various common bolster materials like micarta, brass, stainless, or sometimes more exotic things like makume gane. Is there any reason I don't see makers using other materials like sterling silver, or polished stone (like I sometimes see for handle scales)?
  • David Singer
    I would worry about certain knives using sterling silver or polished stone because of how possibly soft or fragile they are. What is knife for? Is it an art piece, outdoor hunter, chef knife (home use vs professional)...
    If its an art/presentation piece then the sky's the limit. Outdoor hunter that gets use, I'd use something more durable.
  • Jeff Kushen
    Agreed David! There is a reason Brass and Stainless are used. Hardness, ease of maintenance and durability. You can make a bolster out of any material you wish, but remember what a bolster is for: It is used as an additional support/guard/strengthener for where the ricasso and tang meet. It was not originally designed to be purely aesthetic.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.