• Brian Dupont
    What's up KnifeTalk Fam. So I am about 4 months into my Knife making journey and I can finally say that I've got a blade that I'm really proud of. It took a lot of time, patience, and fuck ups to get to this point but I'm really happy I stuck with it. I'd love for you guys to be really critical in your critique of this knife so that I can make the necessary changes to get to the next level. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. yapyt4i3lwpcm68j.jpg
  • JR Knifemaker
    That’s lovely Brian and a great feeling.

Keep designing and pushing yourself to new knives!
  • Brian Dupont
    Thanks JR. I've got a bunch in the works right now. Still struggling with a few things but I'm happy with the progress so far.
  • Jeff Kushen
    It is beautiful work! You just keep doing what you are doing and you will do well!
    For chef's knives almost more than others, important things are have you tested edge retention, balance, weight? How soft (rounded) is the top of the spine? Will it develop hot-spots if used in a pinch-grip? I always make sure any surface that will come into contact with the hand is rounded or 'softened'.
    :-)
  • Brian Dupont
    Thanks Jeff. I have tested it and I'm happy with the geometry and edge retention. It does wedge a bit in potatoes put it excels in slicing meat in particular. It's 1.25" tall with a 6.75" cutting edge. Pinch grip is comfortable but it has a small hot spot right at the top of the handle that could have been softened a bit more. I've made an adjustment on the handle size for future knives because this one feels a little too small.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.