• keith
    Hey guys. I’m attempting my first katana out of w2 tool steel. I’ve use w2 before but only on smaller projects, when normalizing my steel wasn’t really an issue.But now with such a big project I definitely want to. But can’t find to much on it in dummy terms( me being the dummy). Do you just have to get it up to it’s annealed state and then let it cool, repeat before heat treat. Thanks for any info
  • BenHWolf
    I've never used W2 myself, but I remembered cashenblades had something on it:
    W2 overview @ cashenblades.com
    Maybe that helps!
    Good luck with your project either way :)
  • JH Forgeworks
    Definitely normalize before heat treat. Especially if you're claying the blade. I don't do a specific annealing process on W2. Just let it sit in the forge and slowly cool or toss it in some vermiculite.

For normalizing, I do three cycles. 1700, 1600, and 1500. It's a good chance to teak your straightness and definitely helps with hamons (for me at least.) Just let it slowly air cool in between each cycle. Nothing much more special than that. Some people suggest a sub-critical anneal for carbon stuff but I haven't personally tried it. Maybe the next one?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.