• Tom
    Has anyone reused any industrial bandsaw blades?
    I found out our ones at work use m42 bimetal blades and was wondering how they’d go in a knife. I know m42 is a quality steel but it’s the bimetal part that worries me and I’d have no idea about the heat treat for m42. If anyone has used any and has a bit of insight I’d appreciate it
  • JH Forgeworks
    Bi metal blades are mild steel (unhardenable) with a small amount of hardened steel welded on to the existing cutting edge. So, the pointed teeth you'd have to grind off to make a knife, are the only part that can be hardened.

Translation - Not applicable as a reclaimed knife steel.
  • Tom
    You can see the welded strip on it (around an inch deep) so I hoped it would be useable but didn’t know how a mild steel centre would do.
    That’s a shame because I have a near endless supply of the blades.
  • JH Forgeworks
    Good blade steel is cheaper than the abrasives you'll use to make the knife. Saving some cash is nice but having a blade worth it is better.
  • Tom
    Oh of course. It just would have been continent if it all worked out ahah. It’s a shame but it’s better to know now and not waste my time on it
  • Smith Knifeworks
    If you have to use a band saw blade, attempt to break it across its width with a pair of pliers. If it cleanly breaks across the whole width of the blade it is hardened in totality and it will probably make a knife edge. But you'll be throwing darts at a wall as far as the heat treat. You can get a stick of 1075 from Admiral for like $12, so....
  • Tom
    It was more the convenience of having piles of bandsaw blades laying around and being new to knife making so looking at ways to practice without destroying good steel and spending a tonne on shit knives. I’m also uk based so supplies aren’t as readily available and as cheap as the US
  • eeny
    You could use them to practice your bevels then, any cheap steel will do to get your eye in, and get touch, especially if you are going freehand with your grinds. Also, if they are wide enough, use them to make templates for profiles you really like.
  • Tom
    That’s a great point with the profiles. Thanks Eeny
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Knife Talk forum!

Sign up to the forum for free to start discussions and get your questions & queries answered and engage with the community.